Pages


Monday, July 9, 2012

Dehydrating Figs............

July 9, 2012


The past few weeks, it's figs, figs, and more figs.....it's that time of the year, all at once these sweet fruit are ripe, and ready to pick. 



I have to fight the bees and wasp to gather the sweetness.  I loose so many to these flying insects.  I guess i need to get into bee keeping and set up a hive close by.  That would be some awesome honey produced by these little critters.



I found someone else who loves their sweetness as much as the bees do..................


My granddaughter just loves them, she runs straight to the tree and reaches for one every time we're walking out in the back yard.


I have been making preserves with them for some time, and wanted to try something different. I own a dehydrator and i guess i never thought to give it a try with figs. 


SO .........slicing away i went............................a four quart bowl full filled up my five tray dehydrator.


I dried them for 12 hours, which was the shorter period of 12-15 hr time recommended.  I was afraid to dry them to a crisp so pulled them out at 12. Instructions say to be sure no beads of water appears when sliced, i found some had a tad bid of moisture still in them while others felt really dry.  They looked and tasted really good. I put them into mason jars with lids to store for later use.


I have plans to use these in a trail mix i plan on making later. But they are excellent to just snack on right out the jar.  As the days went by my stash got smaller and smaller, we could not resist opening that jar and popping one into our mouths, just like candy...Hmmmmmm

As I got ready to post this information, i noticed some of them starting to mold a little.....guess the time in the dehydrator needs to be longer to be sure i get every bit of moisture out of them.    I will have to try another batch before the bees get them all......

If anyone has other ideas to use figs, let me know........My daughter and i roasted a few in the oven, stuffed with cream cheese..........ohhhhhhhhh they were pretty good, great little appetizer served up on your favorite cracker or pita chip, drizzled with a little honey.


Enjoying the taste of summer.....................

                                             Live Simple..............Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment